Under the umbrella of Knoxville-Knox County Community Action Committee, Workforce Connections strives to be responsible stewards of public workforce funds. Workforce Connections performance outcomes consistently demonstrate a great return on investment of public dollars. For fiscal year 2013-2014, adult training program completers will earn more than $4.6 million in wages during their first year after exiting the program - more than twice the dollars spent on ALL program activities.
- 100% of the in-school youth program seniors graduated high school
- 92% of those graduates went on to post-secondary programs or obtained jobs
- 100% of Skills deficient youth participants showed literacy and numeracy gains
- Resource Room Staff at the American Job Center provided job search assistance in 18,983 customer visits
- 9 months after exiting the program over 91% of the adults were still employed
- See more progam highlights in our 2013-2014 Annual Report
After graduating from high school, Trent wanted to become an electrical apprentice. He did find low paying jobs with electric companies but since the building trades had suffered, there was not a huge demand for his services. At 23 and on his own, he wanted a stable career where he could make a living wage. With help from the American Job Center and workforce funds, Trent started at the Southeastern Lineman Training School. It is a challenging school and not for everyone as it involves a high degree of risk and agility. Lacking a fear of heights, Trent felt it was a perfect fit with his previous electrical training. He graduated with an achievement award for Best All Around out of 400 students! While in school, he earned his climbing certification, his OSHA card along with CPR, AED and First Aid certification as well as his CDL. Trent found a job right away working for Mas Tec North America Inc. He is getting to do what he really loves, earning more than $65,000 per year and contributing positively to the local area. Trent is a great example of return on investment of public workforce funds.